Hands-On STEAM Learning
As an essential stepping stone to kindergarten, Everbrook Academy’s Preschool program offers our research-based early education curriculum, Explorer 21™, and personalized learning experiences. Lessons integrate the arts and sciences.
Here are some ways STEAM is integrated throughout this classroom:
- Science: Microscopes and hand lenses are used to explore what living and non-living things look like up close.
- Technology: During group learning time, age-appropriate interactive digital technology could be employed, with age-specific apps.
- Engineering: Robotics materials, as well as a variety of small table-top blocks and large, floor-use blocks encourage children to design, test, and build their own constructions.
STEAM activities also explore the arts and math:
- The Arts: Language arts (reading, writing, literacy), visual arts (painting, sculpture, etc.), dramatic and musical arts (costumes, instruments, etc.) are featured.
- Math: Tangible, engaging math experiences are supported by a variety of resources including tree blocks, stone counting pieces, balance scales, and measuring tools.
Children continue to work toward meeting milestones in 10 developmental areas:
- Approaches to Learning: Children learn to use materials in a variety of ways, and begin to work on planning skills.
- Logic and Reasoning Children experiment with dramatic play which develops symbolic thinking.
- Literacy Children tell stories and act them out, along with gaining exposure to writing.
- Language: Children develop basic conversational and self-expression skills.
- Math: Children develop counting skills and numeral recognition, along with shapes, and patterning.
- Physical Development and Health: Children practice gross motor and self-help skills.
- Social-Emotional Development: Children gain self-awareness and independence.
- Creative Arts Expression: Children explore music, movement, and drama.
- Social Studies: Children learn how to be part of a community and develop familiar routines.
- Nature and Science: Children focus on object classification, as well as learning about the natural world around them.
Search for schools in your area to learn more about the programs offered at your local Everbrook Academy.